Personally, I have never liked the idea of online education
courses especially for K-12 students. Many argue that online education courses
can help save money and help students who need courses to graduate on time.
Even though these arguments are valid I think that there is much more learned
from attending classes and school on a regular basis then there is from taking
a course in front of a computer screen. There is much more to learning in
school then just learning the content knowledge. For example, students learn
how to have the correct behavior norms in certain social situations. Behaving
correctly in class is something that can carry over into the real world.
Respect learned in the classroom can transfer into respect for all peoples
outside of the classroom. Social interaction between peers and teachers is
another huge aspect of education that students would just not be getting
online. Communication, which in my mind is one of the most important skills
learned in school, is something that students would be getting very little of
through an online course. Personally, I would despise having to teach an online
course if I ever had to. I love teaching because I can interact with my
students. Interaction online is not nearly the same. As for the students, I
feel like they are being truly robbed of the education they need to be
successful in life later on.
One website I explored more is the application called
Dropbox. Dropbox is a great tool and one that is awesome to have especially if
a department collaborates on curriculum. It is easy to download and is perfect
for sharing documents of any kind. Having Dropbox seems to make everything easier
for planning and allows any teacher to access documents even while at home. I
definitely hope to implement Dropbox in the future. I would even consider
setting it up for my students to use if there was a way so that only I could
drop and add certain documents.
Another useful website is open office. I remember being in
college and cringing at how much Microsoft Word was. This website is quite
helpful for all those students who just can’t afford to purchase Microsoft
Word. I will definitely be recommending
this website to all of my students so that they can have access to a word processer
at home.
Another great website is Twitter. Personally I don’t have a
Twitter and have never used it. Even though this site is used more for social
media it is a great easy way to remind students of deadlines and homework
assignments. Since many students have Twitter it is a great way to keep in
contact with them. Not to mention that many students have Twitter on their cell
phones which reminds them even quicker than if they had to check through a
computer.
I really like the chatzy website where students can be in a
live chatroom with each other to discuss readings or assignments. That is
definitely something I would love to implement in my classes in the future. I
would love to set up a time where students have to be in the chatroom and
discuss with each other for a certain amount of time. Even though it take a lot
of planning to implement I would really like to try it out in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment